How long does a strained MCL take to heal?
The time it takes to fully recover from an MCL tear depends on how severe the tear is. A grade 1 (mild) MCL tear usually heals within one to three weeks. A grade 2 (moderate) MCL tear generally takes four to six weeks to heal with treatment. A grade 3 (severe) MCL tear can take six weeks or more to heal with treatment.
What is the fastest way to recover from an MCL injury?
Treatment for MCL tears include: Exercises to strengthen muscles. Use of a protective knee brace during exercise….Treatment for MCL Injury
- Application of an ice pack application to reduce swelling that occurs hours after the injury.
- Compression using an elastic bandage or brace.
- Elevating the knee.
- Pain relievers.
Does massage help MCL injury?
It is important to remember that an acute injury (less than 24 hours), injury with swelling, and a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury with an untreated fracture are never massaged. It is best to get rest and keep the affected area immobilized.
How do I loosen my MCL?
You will need a pillow for this exercise.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent.
- Place a pillow between your knees.
- Put your hands slightly behind your hips for support.
- Squeeze the pillow by tightening the muscles on the inside of your thighs.
- Hold for 6 seconds, then rest for up to 10 seconds.
- Repeat 8 to 12 times.
Can I exercise with a torn MCL?
You may ride the stationary bicycle daily for 10 to 20 minutes. Avoid using stair-stepper machines, doing deep knee bends and squats or any exercise that causes crunching, clicking or pain at the kneecap.
How should a MCL sprain be treated?
– Rest. Activities that irritates the knee, such as pivoting and walking for long periods of time, should be avoided until the symptoms get better. – Ice. A person may be advised to apply ice packs to the knee to help reduce swelling and decrease pain. – Compression. Wearing a tight, elastic bandage around the knee can help stop swelling. – Elevation.
How to treat a MCL sprain?
Resting From Activity: This means you won’t be playing the sport where you sustained the injury while you recover. 4
What does a MCL strain feel like?
What does MCL strain feel like? An injury to the MCL leads to swelling and pain in the medial, or inner, aspect of the knee. Patients will often feel pain with knee bending or twisting maneuvers. When an MCL tear is severe, the athlete can feel a sense of instability or opening on the inside of the knee.
How bad is a torn MCL?
Tearing the MCL is likely to cause more severe pain that spraining the ligament. A person may notice a popping sound at the time of the injury. This is the sound of the MCL tearing. A person is likely to notice swelling in the area, which may not happen immediately.