What were the 5 parts of the Compromise of 1850 quizlet?
Terms in this set (5)
- First. Allowed California to enter the Union as a free state.
- Second. Divided to rest of the Mexican Cession into the territories of New Mexico and Utah.
- Third. Ended the slave trade in Washington D.C., the nation’s capital.
- Fourth. Included a strict, fugitive slave law.
What are the three main points about the Compromise of 1850 that upset the North and South?
The plan adopted by Congress had several parts: California was admitted as a free state, upsetting the equilibrium that had long prevailed in the Senate; the boundary of Texas was fixed along its current lines; Texas, in return for giving up land it claimed in the Southwest, had $10 million of its onerous debt assumed …
What were the terms of the Compromise of 1850 quizlet?
The Compromise of 1850 said that the United States would admit California as a free state. Congress would divide the rest of the Mexican Cession into the New Mexico and Utah Territories. Congress would allow the people to decide whether they wanted to have slavery or remain free of slavery.
What parts of the Compromise of 1850 pleased the North?
The “Great Compromiser,” Henry Clay, introduces the Compromise of 1850 in the Senate. The plan was set forth. The giants — Calhoun, Webster, and Clay — had spoken….Compromise of 1850.
|North Gets||South Gets|
|California admitted as a free state||No slavery restrictions in Utah or New Mexico territories|
What was a key provision of the Compromise of 1850 quizlet Chapter 13?
List the main provisions of the Compromise of 1850: 1) California should be admitted as a free state. 2) slave trade (not slavery itself) be abolished in DC. 3) a federally enforced fugitive slave act to guarantee the return of runaway slaves.
Who made the Compromise of 1850?
Senator Henry Clay
Citation: Resolution introduced by Senator Henry Clay in relation to the adjustment of all existing questions of controversy between the states arising out of the institution of slavery (the resolution later became known as the Compromise of 1850), January, 29, 1850; Senate Simple Resolutions, Motions, and Orders of …
What are three main points of the Compromise of 1850?
– First. Allowed California to enter the Union as a free state. – Second. Divided to rest of the Mexican Cession into the territories of New Mexico and Utah. – Third. Ended the slave trade in Washington D.C., the nation’s capital. – Fourth. Included a strict, fugitive slave law. – Fifth.
What were the major features of the Compromise of 1850?
What were the main points in the Compromise of 1850? The Compromise of 1850 contained the following provisions: (1) California was admitted to the Union as a free state; (2) the remainder of the Mexican cession was divided into the two territories of New Mexico and Utah and organized without mention of slavery; (3) the claim of Texas to a portion of New Mexico was …
What were the five provisions of the Compromise of 1850?
What are the elements of the Compromise of 1850?
– series of bills passed in the U.S. in September of 1850 – resolved a 4-year confrontation between between the slave states of the south and the free states of the north (regarding the territories claimed in the Mexican-American War) – drafted by Senator Henry Clay (Whig) – avoided secession/civil war and reduced sectional conflict for 4 years