What chemicals are in air Wick?
Air fresheners emit over 100 different chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (terpenes such as limonene, alpha-pinene, and beta-pinene; terpenoids such as linalool and alpha-terpineol; ethanol, formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, and xylene) and semi-volatile organic compounds (such as phthalates) , , [25 …
Are air wick diffusers safe?
Small amounts of most air fresheners are usually not dangerous. Swallowing the gel-type evaporative beads or reed diffuser solutions can cause serious effects in children. There are concerns about adverse effects on the environment and health with repeated exposures to air fresheners.
Are plug in diffusers toxic?
Compounding the risks posed by formaldehyde, most major brands of plug-in air fresheners contain a chemical known as naphthalene. They have shown that Naphthalene can cause tissue damage and cancer in the lungs of rodents in laboratory studies. It’s plausible to assume that it causes similar effects in humans.
Is air Wick carcinogenic?
Benzene: a known carcinogen and developmental and reproductive toxin. d-Limonene: associated with skin and eye irritation. This substance is a sensitizer, which means it’s likely to increase the odds of a future allergic reaction.
Are Air Wick Essential Oils toxic?
Many of Air Wick’s products contain a number of ethoxylated ingredients. These ingredients go through a process that uses two toxic ingredients: ethylene oxide (an endocrine disruptor and carcinogen) and 1,4-dioxane (a carcinogen). The end products have been found to be contaminated with those two ingredients.
Why do air fresheners make me sick?
They can release air-polluting chemicals that can actually make you sick. Some of the most popular air fresheners on the market contain phthalates, which are known to cause everything from birth defects to cancer. There’s nothing too sweet smelling about that.
Is Air Wick air freshener toxic?
Can you overdose on air fresheners?
Yes. Anyone can be affected by direct exposure to high levels of product. There are case reports of air freshener overdose from inhaling the spray at close range. This has caused rapid heartbeat that required hospitalization.
Why do strong scents make me nauseous?
Your olfactory area, located in your nose, is where scent travels before it passes into your throat. That’s why your smell and taste are both affected. When you’re smelling strong scents that create a taste in your throat, you may start to feel nauseated.