Can you shock a well with bleach?
Overview. Use ordinary liquid laundry bleach to shock chlorinate the water system. Determine how much bleach to use, then pour the bleach down the well and circulate it through the whole water distribution system. Wait 6-12 hours for the chlorine to work, then flush the chlorinated water from your well and pipes.
What happens if you put too much bleach in well?
According to AskingLot, if you put too much bleach in your well, it can destroy the good bacteria found in the well, which can be a significant problem! The company also says that you should dilute the bleach with water so the pipes do not get ruined.
How much bleach is needed to shock a well?
CALCULATE AND POUR: Pour 3 pints of chlorine bleach per 100 gallons of water plus an additional 3 pints into your well as described above. MIX: Attach a clean garden hose to the outdoor faucet nearest the well and place the end of the hose inside the well.
How long does it take for water to clear after shocking a well?
It will usually take 4 to 8 hours to flush the well after a standard well chlorination. The water may become discolored during flushing because the chlorine may have loosened the hard water deposits in the plumbing. Caution: The chlorine must be completely flushed from plumbing system.
How long after bleaching well can I shower?
Before you chlorinate your well, there are a number of precautions and steps to take to ensure safety for your family. Keep in mind that doing laundry and taking a shower cannot be done for at least 24 hours with a chlorinated well.
Can you put chlorine tablets in a well?
the well has been flooded or exposed to bacterial contamination in another manner, such as a crack in the well cap. Chlorine granules, tablets and liquid chlorine in the form of household bleach can all be used to disinfect your well.
Can I put Clorox bleach in my well?
You can disinfect your well with household chlorine bleach such as Clorox, Purex or a generic brand. The chlorine in the bleach kills bacteria. Note that it may take more than one chlorination for your well to return a satisfactory test.
Should you bleach your well?
Disinfecting Your Water You can disinfect your well with household chlorine bleach such as Clorox, Purex or a generic brand. The chlorine in the bleach kills bacteria. Note that it may take more than one chlorination for your well to return a satisfactory test.
How do you bleach a well water system?
Mix 2 quarts bleach in 10 gallons of water; pour into well. Connect a garden hose to a nearby faucet and wash down the inside of the well. Open each faucet and let the water run until a strong chlorine odor is detected, then turn it off and go to the next one. Don’t forget outdoor faucets and hydrants.
How often should I bleach my well?
Homeowners with private wells should have their well water tested every 3 to 5 years for some contaminants, including bacteria. If these tests turn up positive for bacteria, chlorinating the well may be a way to resolve the problem.
How do you shock a well with bleach?
If you must shock the well then we would recommend you follow these instructions to do so. Pour two gallons of regular unscented Clorox ® bleach down into the well head. Let the chlorine sit in the well for an hour. Go to the farthest faucet from the well.
Can I add bleach to my well water?
Many wells are not easily accessible and you cannot easily add bleach down the well. If you are unsure call your local well driller or pump contractor and arrange professional chlorination and shock treatment. The best way to shock chlorinate sanitize wells is to use a combination of dry pellets and dry chlorine granules mixed with water.
How do I Shock my well?
If you must shock the well then we would recommend you follow these instructions to do so. Pour two gallons of regular unscented Clorox ® bleach down into the well head. Let the chlorine sit in the well for an hour. Go to the farthest faucet from the well. And turn on both hot and cold water all the way until you either smell chlorine.
Can you get a shock from a neutral wire?
Here’s how you can get a shock from a “neutral” wire: you had multiple white wires, only one was the neutral leading back to your circuit breaker/fuse panel. The rest are extending the neutral to other fixtures/outlets.