The expanded program for Durrell 2012: The Lawrence Durrell Centenary has now been published.
Such was the sagacious Suchness of the Sage
That all of a sudden in his old age
He was uplifted bodily by
A wonderful Umptiousness.
He became Umptious in the highest degree.
— “On The Suchness of the Old Boy” (1973 / 1972).
Durrell 2012: The Lawrence Durrell Centenary will present attendees with an Umptious bounty of offerings, including:
- 13 panel sessions —?featuring 40 presenters from 19 different countries.
- 4 plenary sessions and 8 keynote speakers —?including talks and remarks by Ian S. MacNiven, Michael Haag, Christopher Butler, Leo Mellor, Lee Durrell, Joanna Hodgkin, Mark Morris, Corinne Alexandre-Garner, Anthony Hirst,?Eleni Verhagen, and Simon Ings.
- An Opening Exhibition of paintings, photographs, and letters — held?at the Foyles Gallery, 113-119 Charing Cross Road.
- Lawrence Durrell at the British Library — an afternoon and evening of special events, featuring archival?talks and panel discussions about Durrell’s life and writings.
- The Durrell Centenary Banquet?— an evening of toasts,?stories, poetry, song, and celebration, with a keynote address from Christopher Butler (Christ Church, Oxford), author of?Early Modernism: Literature, Music and Painting in Europe 1900-1916.
More?announcements?will be forthcoming when new items are added to the program — stay connected, and stay tuned.
Follow the news as it breaks on the Durrell 2012?Facebook?page.
Register?for Durrell 2012: The Lawrence Durrell Centenary.
See you in London!